Welcome to our list of March observances and content ideas for your monthly author marketing plan!
I hope 2019 has already kicked off strong for you and you’re committed to making this year one of your most successful – because I can help you do that.
If you haven’t downloaded our Monthly Book Marketing Planner yet you can grab that at the end of this article in our resources section.
Remember, without regular connections to readers, you’re just another book on the shelf (literal or virtual) they have no vested interest in…so take the time to make yourself stand out by using our monthly observances and tips to create interesting content with your own unique twist.
Another great reason to bookmark this author marketing resource? Timely content that uses popular and trending search terms, is a great way to enhance your visibility and improve SEO in a very simple way.
And what’s really key: content ideas don’t always have to stem from your genre or topic.
When it comes to author marketing and building a brand, ensuring fans and followers have ways to connect with you on a more personal level is equally as powerful as ensuring you also make time to really speak to your genre and topic.
How to Use My Content Ideas
Below are holidays and just plain wacky and fun March observances in 2019.
I’ve also included a few content ideas and angles to help spark your creativity!
Remember, not all these are worth an entire blog post or article, but nearly all of them can be turned into a fun or thought-provoking social media post or blurb in your newsletter – so it’s like getting triple the ideas!
Keep in mind, nearly all your posts should encourage your fans and followers to respond, chime in, share their stories, etc. so don’t forget to work in that angle. I mention it as part of my recommendations occasionally, but please know that encouraging engagement is always the goal – so never post “flat” content, always get creative with how you can pull others into the conversation, and easily.
And if you’re feeling a little guilty about the lack of promotion planning you’ve done so far this year, use this list as a productive kick in the rear, commit to writing something for each of the holidays listed, use it on social, for your blog, in your newsletter – get creative – but giving yourself a bar to reach is the first step.
Monthly Observances for March 2019
• Music in Our Schools Month
• National Craft Month
• National Frozen Food Month
• National Irish American Heritage Month
• National Nutrition Month
• National Peanut Month
• National Women’s History Month
• Red Cross Month
• Social Workers Month
Women’s history month holds a special place in my heart for obvious reasons, but I’d certainly encourage those of you with strong female leads to make the most of March by highlighting your badass female characters.
If you need some additional support on how to translate these ideas to actual content and posts, please consider signing up for email coaching with me and we’ll get personal!
Getting Started with Content Ideas
1. National Salesperson Day – Hey, you’re an author, you’re a salesperson. If you haven’t filled out your Monthly Book Marketing planner for Q2 yet, get moving!
1. World Compliment Day – Spread some love and make social media a nicer place.
2. Old Stuff Day – Do you have an older book that you’ve been neglecting? Carve out time to send some traffic to its Amazon page.
3. If Pets Had Thumbs Day – Super fun, let your furry friends take over your social media for a day and I’ll bet money your engagement skyrockets.
4. Hug a GI Day – I’m a huge supporter of our military and I adore this holiday. If hugs aren’t your thing buy them a cup of coffee or consider picking up a lunch tab for a stranger in uniform.
5. Multiple Personality Day – Consider letting your main character take over for a day and give fans a glimpse into their world!
Time to Get Creative with Your Author Marketing
6. National Frozen Food Day – As a big fan of Trader Joe’s I can tell you there are lots of frozen food gems out there now, consider sharing your faves.
8. International (Working) Women’s Day – Share your story of how you started writing, your inspiration, and what it took to get where you are today.
12. Plant a Flower Day – It’s that time of year, share your gardening favorites and poll your fans for theirs. Or hey, simply flood social media with gorgeous pictures of flowers to get everyone in the mood for Spring!
14. Learn about Butterflies Day – This is a great holiday for children’s book authors because you can create some fun engaging content to spark conversations between parents and their kiddos.
14. National Potato Chip Day – Who doesn’t love potato chips? Ridged? Jalapeno? So many options.
Just Keep Writing Social Media Content
15. Dumbstruck Day – Hey, if you’d like to officially celebrate writer’s block, here you go.
16. Everything You Do is Right Day – Roll with this and try some new book promotion strategies you’ve been putting off. Or finally, get on Goodreads like you know you should!
17. Saint Patrick’s Day – If you’re Irish let your fans know, if you’re not, pretend with the rest of us for 24 hours.
20. International Earth Day
20. Extraterrestrial Abductions Day – Got a personal story to tell?
20. Spring Equinox
21. Absolutely Incredible Kid Day – Depending on how much you’re willing to share with fans, considering highlighting how awesome your kiddo is. And if you’re a children’s book author or if your primary readership is moms, considering creating a free download of sorts or sharing a great resource for parents to do something special for their kids. Or a great way to engage fans is by opening the door for them to brag about the special little people in their lives!
March Has Almost Wrapped
22. National Goof Off Day – Okay, the month is drawing to a close and I hope you’ve been marketing your butt off, so take a break, consider it Author Marketing Experts sanctioned!
25. Waffle Day – Being from Belgium I take this day super seriously. Find me on social to check out my favorite authentic Belgian waffle recipe!
26. Make Up Your Own Holiday Day –This is super fun, and the inspiration is limitless, make up your holiday and share it, ask people to engage with you by posting comments or pictures of them celebrating. This is also a great excuse to get people engaged in a contest if you want to take it up a notch and offer a prize for the best celebration!
28. Something on a Stick Day – Time for a poll! Figure out what the best food on a stick is by letting your followers battle it out.
29. National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day – Take a moment to call out your favorite local businesses, tag them if they’re on social as well to show them some extra love and send more customers their way.
30. I am in Control Day – Profess your goals for the coming month, make them public, and stick to it!
30. Take a Walk in the Park Day – Definitely a great opportunity to snap some pictures to share, which is especially clutch if you’re on Instagram.
Remember, being an author demands creativity, and it also demands authenticity.
Coming up with unique content ideas as part of your author marketing plan is a great way to take your success seriously, without taking yourself too seriously! And these March observances should really help.
If you’re on Twitter please share this fun piece with your author network by clicking below!