Is Your Website Working?
Well now we’re getting close. With Halloween stuff put away and the holiday season in almost full swing, it’s time to get really serious about sales. Especially those that happen on your website. Now I’m not talking about a full-on website makeover but rather a quick checklist to “kick the tires” and make sure everything is working correctly and it’s all about infrastructure.
When I talk about infrastructure, I mean things like:
- Newsletter: you’re going to want one at some point, so better to start early. You can get a free account at sites like MailChimp (free up to 1,000 subscribers) and add the sign up to your website. You don’t have to send a newsletter on day one, but at least you’re building a list.
- Is everything linked? Make sure that everything is linked and ready to go. This is important, because there’s nothing more frustrating than social links on a website that go to the wrong pages or, worse, that lead nowhere. Make sure that your “Contact us” works, too. Really important in case some big blogger, reviewer, or media person is looking for you!
- Shopping cart: If you have a shopping cart on your site when was the last time you checked to see if it was working? If you haven’t done that in a while you should check it now.
- Links to Amazon and other online e-tailers: Make sure these links are on your site and easy to find.
- About page: Is your about page ready with your bio and a way to contact you? Often times people wanting to reach out to you may go there first if other contact information isn’t obvious on your site.
And while you’re noodling around on your site, how is your website traffic doing? Not sure, well you should check. If you don’t have Google Analytics set up, get it now.
Think you might need an overhaul or want to get some personalized recommendations? We do website evals, just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more!
Read part 4: Plan a Blog Tour
Read part 3: Book Events & Holiday Gift Guides
Read part 2: Get More Reviews
Read part 1: eBook Promo Scheduling