What is the future of publishing? That’s been the question on many minds for some time now, and this week at the Untethered Conference in NYC, publishers tried to sort it all out. The conference produced some good news and information for the industry according to its standard-bearers, while many observers live tweeting the event wondered if the speakers were on an acid trip (really – this was the Tweet from @SmartBitches: #unteth and that’s the end of the CEO panel. I don’t think i dropped acid but perhaps i did and this is alternate universe).
Who to believe? Without a crystal ball, it’s hard to say, but here are some stories and tweets from the event – some retweeted by our own Penny Sansevieri (http://twitter.com/Bookgal) – so you decide:
iPad Love and the Future of Book Publishing at Untethered 2010 from Publishers Weekly.
Bold Predictions for the Tablet Market Need a Dose of Reality from DailyFinance
What is the future of publishing? – books any way you want them. Follow the consumer
Why is ‘realistic page turning’ an #ereader feature? Was the Model T mktd as ‘smells like a horse’? #unteth
Harper Collins CEO Brian Murray predicts digital will make up 40 to 50 pct of book sales in 5 yrs.
Osnos, Steinberger, Murray & Reidy say book publishing biz model is “healthy.” /via @calreid (I am pondering definition of healthy)
Yet again myth that consumers expect content for free is trotted out.
The book publishing CEOs are delivering upbeat messages but their voices are like they’re at a funeral
And now for the rest of the news:
* Don’t doubt the power of social media. During the Lakers-Celtics finals Thursday night there were more than 3,000 tweets per second during the game
* Juicy novel alert: ex-View host Star Jones pens book about ‘Daytime Talk Show Revenge’ http://ht.ly/1Y8r1
* Gift book ideas for Father’s Day (still time for last-minute shopping!) http://ht.ly/1Yeai
* Bestselling self help author Wayne Dyer accused of plagiarism http://ht.ly/1YMeG
* Amazon.com is the #1 financially healthiest retail company for two years running http://ht.ly/1YMi8
* 16 year old sailor just rescued from Indian Ocean to write book http://ht.ly/1YN6x
* 5 lessons publishers can learn from film and music http://ht.ly/1Z48n
* Is the compromise Kindle e-book price going to be $12.99? http://ht.ly/1ZAr5
* What are the 5 ‘buzziest’ summer beach reads? http://ht.ly/1ZAur
* The Kardashian sisters get a book deal, Kardashian Konfidential, an “advice book with lots of pictures” http://ht.ly/2032F
* ‘My Publishing Journey from eBooks to pBooks’ (author Boyd Morrison for Huffington Post) http://ht.ly/20372
* ‘Publishers are not as dumb as some people think’ (re: how many publishers have the upper hand regarding electronic book rights) http://ht.ly/2038L
Related articles by Zemanta
- Untethered (I Hope) (smartbitchestrashybooks.com)
- Publishers Comment on the iPad “Changing Business” (macstories.net)
- Star Jones Lands Book Deal With Gallery Books (readersread.com)